Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Artist to Look Out For: Mac Miller


Mac Miller was a nice refreshing surprise to me this past Easter weekend. Not expecting much i clicked on a sample of one of his new singles from his EP "On and On and Beyond" I found it to be a pleasant surprise. His sound is fresh and rolls with the Wiz Khalifa type vibe that everyone is seeming to love right about now. I think he might even have the potential to be even better than his label mate Wiz. He talks about more in his music and his lyrical deliverance in my opinion is above Wiz. I think he still needs sometime to really find his way but he seems like a very promising artist.


"So What" & "Life ain't Easy"
I was most impressed with these two songs while reviewing Mac Miller's music.
"So What" is a nice hip-hop sound with a catchy hook/beat and good lyrics. Everyone loves those qualities in a song. Wale is featured on the song and also delivers a great verse (as usual) and they mesh well together on the track. I doubt this song will be a hit single but it is a nice song to have a that summer mix playlist.

"Life ain't easy"is a cool track to me because the listener gets to listen to Mac Miller's story and see different glimpses of his life through the lyrics. I think it is also more on the inspirational side and meant to be a more motivational vibe. My favorite part is the hook which says "when i get old imma be real cool sittin on the porch with a fresh pair of shoes whole bunch of stories for the neighborhood kids tell em to believe that we makin it big." I thought it was a catchy hook at it reminded me of songs like "I know I can" by Nas and "Fabulous" by Jaheim.

Link: On and On and Beyond

No comments: