Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Artist to Lookout For: Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean is definitely an artist to be on the lookout for. I've only heard one song from him so far, but that one song is a hit. "Novocaine" is not the song you would expect it to be. The beat and melody by itself could be a hit for any artist. The funny thing is that based off of the title I expected it to just be your sappy love song comparison and him just telling everyone that his girl's love is just like "Novocaine".  Instead Frank kinda shocked me because although he was indeed saying love is like novocaine, he went about it an a very humorous and unorthodox method... but it worked.

Also to my surprise, Frank Ocean is a member of "Odd Future", so it would only make sense that the song is what I would expect it to be. Another interesting fact about Frank Ocean is that he has been in the game for a minute as a producer/songwriter creating hits for the likes of Beyonce, Justin Bieber, and John Legend... go figure.  Finally, Frank's entrance into the public eye as a solo artist is similar to that of Ryan Leslie. Ryan Leslie's first solo single discharged a whole new sound for music in general and I think Frank Ocean's approach to music might be the same... Gonna go home and actually listen to some of his stuff to see if what I said holds true.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

idk how to comment the whole blog .. but uhm yeah you twos blog is really great you two give very good insight on music :)

Anonymous said...

I heard this song on the ready the other day and actually is a good song. Found myself, who some consider me to be a musical ADD person, stopping and listening to the whole song, a rarity.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this Frank Ocean guy but I guess he sounds cool!